Welcome to West Elementary!
LOAS schedule is as follows:
August 28, 2015
Lunch today: Hamburger, Broccoli, Potato Wedges, Fruit, Milk
Todays Birthdays: Jordan Allen, Kendrick Hershberger, Aug. 29, Nicot Burnett, Levi Embrey, Elianan Simmons, Mrs. Goad, Aug. 30 Chance Brock
NOTE FROM THE NURSE: WHEN CALLING IN FOR A SICK CHILD, PLEASE MRS. ADAMSON BY 8:30 A.M. ALSO, WRITTEN PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL MEDS, INCLUDING COUGH DROPS. THANKS!
The Mt. Vernon school district has a new lunch tracking account called myschoolbucks, which is a website that provides a number of beneficial features. You can access this account from your mobile device. The website is called myschoolbucks.com. If you were previously on cafeprepay you should have received an email notifying of this new system. If you have any questions, please call the school office.
A friendly reminder to West families: so that they can be safely supervised, students may be dropped off at West at 7:30 a.m. At that time, the gym and cafeteria are open and students can be admitted into the building. Front doors will be open at 7:15 a.m. for students to wait in the foyer. Thank you to all the West community for your work and help in keeping our kids safe!
REMEMBER YOUR TOMORROW STARTS TODAY!
We are going to prioritize this idea in a variety of ways this year. For our 5th graders, we will likely have a field trip later in the year to the University of Southern Indiana and/or the University of Evansville, giving students the opportunity to see a college campus and envision themselves as a part of it. Further, one of the parent programs we’ll hold this Fall will feature a bank official who will help parents begin planning and saving for their child’s post-secondary education. Stay turned for more details on these and other exciting programs.
We strongly encourage West families to reinforce with your student that their tomorrow begins today. We want all of West’s children to be engrained with the idea that high school will not be the end of their education. As the principal, I want every West student to walk through the halls of this school embracing the idea that “I am going to go to college, trade school, etc…”
I ask all West’s families to partner with us on this important mindset.
- Kindergarten Orientation: Wednesday, August 10, 1:00 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Parents may choose one of these sessions to attend.
- First Day Of School For Students: Thursday, August 11. Classes at West begin at 8:10 a.m. and dismiss at 2:45 p.m.
- West Open House: Thursday, August 25. 1st and 2nd grade Open House will run from 6:00-6:45 p.m., and 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade Open House will run from 7:00-7:45 p.m.
- Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures: As in previous years, students may be dropped off at West’s front entrance no earlier than 7:30 a.m. Students can be picked up after school by following the traffic flow in front of the building. For the safety of students, visitors, and staff, we ask that you remain in your vehicle and let one of our staff members escort your child to the vehicle.
- Student Breakfast and Lunch: The cost of a student breakfast is $1.35, while lunch is $1.85. As in previous years, students may deposit money in their cafeteria account.
You will see any number of new faces on the West staff this year, faces we hope you and your student will get to know over the course of the school year.
On behalf of our staff, I want to welcome you and your student to a new school year here at West. We once again look forward to partnering with you to help make your child’s tomorrow everything it can be.
Today it takes more than a high school education to realize your career dreams. Whether that dream requires a certificate, associate's degree, bachelor's degree or graduate degree, TripToCollege.org/WIN is the place to start. Visit TripToCollege.org/WIN, your Indiana-specific, step-by-step guide for planning and paying for college. Speaking of paying for college, enter a drawing to win free gift certificates.
All School Dismissal - 2:45 p.m.
Visit Our Schools!
1105 W. 4th Street
Mt. Vernon, IN 47620
Mr. Paul O. Swanson, Principal